Union Station Spray Park
Lu Engineers was responsible for the site design for the installation of a new Water Spray Park at the existing Union Station Park located at Rock Island Road in the Town of Chili, New York.
Site design for the Water Spray Park includes a number of aspects including:
- A new 750 foot long, 4” diameter water service with a 4” meter pit and 3” RPZ backflow preventer installed in a heated backflow preventer enclosure. A portion of the water service was installed by horizontal directional drilling under an intermittent stream.
- A 10’ x 14’ shed with a foundation and sump to house the Spray Park controls.
- A 40’ x 60’ concrete pad for the spray park. The spray pad is surrounded with a 5 foot wide concrete sidewalk.
- A 10’ x 20’ concrete pad for a picnic shelter.
- An ecoswale that accepts the runoff from the spray pad for water quality treatment before it discharges into a nearby stream. The ecoswale consists of a 10 foot wide area of permeable pavers next to the spray pad, a bioretention area and various water tolerant plantings in a landscaped area. The ecoswale will include a number of stepping stones to allow it to be crossed by pedestrians.
The design of the installation of the water spray features in the spray park was provided by the manufacturer of the spray feature equipment since this is a specialized system.